Become Part of the Research Community @ Shoals!
SUMMER RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES FOR UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS:
Research internships are available for undergraduates who have completed coursework at Shoals AND for engineering majors! Jump to our internship page to learn more!
DID YOU KNOW...? Shoals credit courses incorporate research into everyday lab and field work; design and carry out your very own research project in almost ALL of our courses. Jump to the student section of our website to find out more!
SUMMER RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES FOR VISITING SCIENTISTS:
Shoals Marine Lab invites visiting researchers (faculty, graduate students, undergraduates, independent researchers) to utilize the Isles of Shoals as a base for their research, and take advantage of the facilities and resources offered by Shoals on Appledore Island. Resource allocation is based upon the needs of our academic program; this includes vessel availability, lab space and housing. Read our research guidelines and check our visiting researcher fees before booking your visit.
To book a visit to Shoals, please send Hal Weeks a research proposal ~12 weeks prior to the start date of the project via email (preferred), fax or postal mail to: Shoals Marine Laboratory, 400 Little Harbor Rd., Portsmouth, NH 03801
email: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax: (603) 430-5221.
All forms and instructions will all be updated before the end of March 2014!
Once a project is approved, the following documentation is required from the research team leader:
(1) Copies of COLLECTING PERMITS required for expected research activities (Researcher sends to Hal Weeks)
(2) Signed LEGAL Letter (sample): Our coastal coordinator, Pam Boutilier provides to the research team leader, once all research and logistics details are confirmed (NOT required for Cornell and UNH researchers).
(3) Signed CONFIRMATION Letter: Our coastal coordinator, Pam Boutilier provides to the research team leader, once all research and logistics details are confirmed.
The following documentation is required for EACH member of the research team
(1) Completed RESEARCHER VISIT CONFIRMATION (please follow instructions on the form).
(2) Completed EMERGENCY/HEALTH CONTACT Form (please follow instructions on the form).
(3) Completed RELEASE Form (please follow instructions on the form -- NOT required for Cornell and UNH faculty).
The following documentation is required for EACH undergraduate student member of the research team:
(4) Completed CODE OF CONDUCT Form (please follow instructions on the form).
The following documentation is recommended for EACH member of the research team:
(5) Completed HEALTH Form (please follow instructions on the form).
should read the information below BEFORE arriving at Appledore Island:
- Appledore Island Research GUIDE for UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH interns
- Researcher Quick Look Report (coming soon!)